Monday 5 May 2014

Interview - inker Diana Egea



Diana Egea Conesa is an inker for DC Comics and has collaborated with artist Axel Giménez on many projects. Couple of those projects have been about He-Man and the Masters of the Universe which has made her known to fans.

Click to read the interview!

Diana describes herself as a very shy person who likes to spend her free time reading books and comics, as well as watching movies and TV-shows. 

I met her at an Artist Alley gathering and will say she is very kind and warm person to talk to about anything. 

Since she's done some work on He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, for the regular DC Comics' series and the Masters of the Universe Classics mini-comic, I asked some questions and she was sweet enough to answer them...


Hello Diana. What got you into comics?

When I was a child my father used to sit with me to teach me how to draw. He used to do amazing drawings and I wanted to do the same.

He also had a lot of comics at home so I used to read them while nobody was watching.


Did you go to a school to be a professional in comics?

I studied fine arts in Barcelona so I would say no. In the art-school teachers did not like people who did comics or illustration so they did not help too much. I think that “human anatomy” was the only thing useful I studied during all the years in the university.


What does an inker do? Can you tell us about the process?

An inker takes a drawing and makes it sharper and cleaner. An inker enhances all the wonders within the drawing with his or her own style without removing the original artist´s style.

 

I am sure everyone has its own unique process. In my case, I like to set my environment, play some music (Ennio Morricone and Basil Poledouris for the win) and then start with the most complicated panels and leave the easiest one for latter.

Above, original pencils by Axel Giménez
Below, inking process by Diana Egea Conesa.






What do you enjoy most about being an inker?

Taking and amazing drawing and make it even better.


What materials do you use?

I do it directly by computer using Photoshop and a Cintiq 24HD.


Have you pencilled comics?

Yes, for a german magazine focused directed to a teen public so it was quite simple. Nothing to be really proud of.

Diana's pages for german magazine Somnia, also known as Kosima

You've inked a lot of art by Axel Giménez. What was the first project you two worked on?

I am not sure right now, I think it was Smallville season 11. I have worked a lot with him and I also have a really bad memory so I am not really sure.


Have you watched any of the He-Man cartoons or own the toys?

Yes, of course! When I was a kid He-Man and She-Ra were one of my favourite cartoons but I did not have any of the toys.


What do you like about the new "He-Man" comic from DC Comics?

I like how the characters and the story have evolved. They all look more adults, I think they are trying to keep the old fan base while trying to get also the new generations.


Who is your favourite character in MOTU-world?

I can´t decide between Teela and She-Ra.


What are you working on now?

It is a secret! No, I am joking. At this moment I am still working for Rovio and working on more MOTU pages with Axel. In January [2014] I will be leaving Rovio and I will be looking for some new projects : )


Where can people find you or your art?

They are a bit outdated but on the following links you can find some of my art:

http://trozosdemi.dravetech.com

http://bwart-trozosdemi.daportfolio.com/

http://liseth.deviantart.com

Thank you, Diana!

Thanks! ^.^



Interview by Jukka Issakainen - December 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment